We earn an adequate profit while using our time, effort and money to help our industry and communities prosper.
Whether it's supply, demand, or delivery, Commercial Energy provides over 2,700 clients a comprehensive and 360 degree approach to total energy cost management.
Since 1997, we've managed the supply, mitigated the risk, and provided choice and certainty to our clients, freeing up time and resources so you can focus on your core business.
Our 92% client renewal rate proves we perform every year. We would like to earn the right to do the same for you and your business.
We require high standards for employee performance. Our employees are always guided by a sense of personal honor.
Mouse over our staff pic to find and learn more about our executive team.
CEO & Co-Founder
M&A VP of Ranck Oil 19 years. Previously 7 years with ADP as Regional Manager in Miami, Chicago, New Orleans, and Orlando. BA from CMC, MBA from Tulane University.
Barbara Ranck Perry
COO & Co-founder
President of Ranck Oil Company 19 years. Previously HR Director at International Marine Terminals and American Bank, New Orleans.
VP & General Manager
Previously Enterprise Fleet Regional Director for 18 years. BS University of Oregon.
Previously Pacific Triple E CFO for 16 years. Over 20 years as CFO in privately-held companies. Deloitte audit manager. Luther College BA.
We simplify the process of lowering your energy costs with a candid analysis. In doing so, we prove our worth as a trusted advisor.
We advocate for our clients, not the utility, at the Utility Commissions. We see a transparent market where our clients can make informed decisions as the Best System.
As the leading provider to small and medium sized energy users in California, our local presence assures you we are accountable for our recommendations.
We hire intelligent, friendly, and passionate people. We train them to be guardians of our customer's best interests. In doing so, we've been able to maintain a 92% customer retention rate.
Ranck Oil Founded
It's unwise to pay too much... but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money... that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing that it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot… it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better.
~Red Ranck, 1979
Commercial Energy Founded
- Our advocacy was directly responsible for the Montana Public Service Commission allowing almost 200 businesses to choose a gas supplier beginning Nov. 1, 1997
- By the end of the year, we had accepted our first 40 customers, or 20% of the eligible market
"The Perfect Storm"
- Hot summer, low water
- High natural gas prices
- Shortage of power generation in the western US
- California's poorly constructed deregulation of the energy market
- Enron taking advantage
ROC Gathering Acquired
- Over 100 producing natural gas wells supported the growth of CE's customer base
- Closed purchase of system on September 7, 2001, energy prices crashed on September 11, 2001
- Our five year growth serving Montana customers earned us consecutive placements
- Great service to over 100 businesses assured our growth and sustainability
Expansion into California
- Apply the same principles of hard work, customer service, and accountability to grow here
- Build a direct sales process that brings energy price management solutions to your place of business
1000th Customer Added
- Our goal of adding one new customer a day, every day for three years went perfectly
- Moved Customer Service Department to our expanded offices in Oakland
- Partnering with WeatherTight USA to bring roofing solutions to our clients
- Lowers energy usage while preventing leaks
- Assist in evaluating solar offers for our clients
- Designed, engineered and funded rooftop solar install at the San Mateo Credit Union
- Assist in evaluating fleet conversion options to natural gas
- Designed and engineered on-site NGV fueling station for the Gillig Bus company in Hayward
Investment in Energy Industry Innovations
- Use our capital to assist start-ups in bringing new technologies to market
- Gold Sponsor of CleanTech Open since 2011
- Series B investor in EnerVault's flow-battery technology, alongside 3M, Mitsui, Total, EDF, and Oceanshore